staciebnsn

Making Sense of the Social World: Methods of Investigation
Daniel F. Chambliss, Russell K. Schutt
Practices of Looking: An Introduction to Visual Culture
Marita Sturken, Lisa Cartwright
One Big Table: A Portrait of American Cooking: 600 recipes from the nation's best home cooks, farmers, pit-masters and chefs
Molly O'Neill
When the Emperor Was Divine
Julie Otsuka
A Place on the Corner (Fieldwork Encounters and Discoveries)
Elijah Anderson
I Speak English: A Guide to Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages-Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing
Ruth J. Colvin
Classic Vegetarian Cooking from the Middle East & North Africa
Habeeb Salloum
Cultural Sociology: An Introduction
Les Back, Andy Bennett, Laura Desfor Edles, David Inglis, Ron Jacobs, Ian Woodward, Margaret Gibson
Violence in the City of Women: Police and Batterers in Bahia, Brazil
Sarah J. Hautzinger
The Teenage Liberation Handbook: How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education
Grace Llewellyn
The Bully Society: School Shootings and the Crisis of Bullying in America's Schools - Jessie Klein A powerful analysis of bullying that addresses the underlying problems of a capitalist consumer-based culture, hypermasculinity, and the ineffectiveness of telling bullying victims to just deal with it. I loved the fact that Klein, unlike many who write and talk about bullying, looks past the "kids will be kids" trope to really look at the socialization taking place in schools and elsewhere. On the other hand, her contention that parents just aren't capable of fighting a $12 billion marketing industry I find questionable, and her blithe commentary about the great work she's done in mediation programs and as a social worker I find somewhat self-serving. She talks about how certain kids came to these great realizations, but I feel that kids learn pretty fast how to say what adults want to hear and aren't necessarily going to learn any life-long lessons from one counseling session. Her assessment of school and community-wide programs was more credible, and it was nice to read a cultural critique that, unlike others, offer solutions to the problems addressed.