staciebnsn

Making Sense of the Social World: Methods of Investigation
Daniel F. Chambliss, Russell K. Schutt
Practices of Looking: An Introduction to Visual Culture
Marita Sturken, Lisa Cartwright
One Big Table: A Portrait of American Cooking: 600 recipes from the nation's best home cooks, farmers, pit-masters and chefs
Molly O'Neill
When the Emperor Was Divine
Julie Otsuka
A Place on the Corner (Fieldwork Encounters and Discoveries)
Elijah Anderson
I Speak English: A Guide to Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages-Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing
Ruth J. Colvin
Classic Vegetarian Cooking from the Middle East & North Africa
Habeeb Salloum
Cultural Sociology: An Introduction
Les Back, Andy Bennett, Laura Desfor Edles, David Inglis, Ron Jacobs, Ian Woodward, Margaret Gibson
Violence in the City of Women: Police and Batterers in Bahia, Brazil
Sarah J. Hautzinger
The Teenage Liberation Handbook: How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education
Grace Llewellyn

Human Rights as Politics and Idolatry

Human Rights as Politics and Idolatry: (University Center for Human Values) - Michael Ignatieff, Kwame Anthony Appiah, Amy Gutmann, David A. Hollinger, Thomas W. Laqueur, Diane F. Orentlicher I enjoyed reading this, but strongly disagree with certain premises taken for granted by the contributors - namely the statist idea that there are cases where national sovereignty and maintaining so-called order should take precedence over human rights. I was also confused by the notion that human rights need to be grounded in something. If you need an outside source to convince you that hurting and killing other humans is wrong...I'm just not even sure what that says about your character.